19 Apr 2015

Returning to studies

I haven't updated this blog for a long time, primarily because I suffered some health issues (a heart attack) and had to give up my studies for the time I needed to recuperate. I'm back now, but my degree has changed from B05 to Q79, which is a new LLB from the Open University. The Q79 has started for the first time in October 2014. I guess this first batch of students will be the guinea pigs. (^_~)

The Q79 starts with module W101: An Introduction to Law. It is, for the very first time, an entirely online module, and as such, there are no books or materials to be had as before. Let me say from the onset, many students have complained of this lack of printed materials, as they are now bound to a computer/tablet and Internet to access the course.

It is possible to download the course as epub files, but from this one cannot access the links to the additional reading materials when offline. Neither can one do the exercises. It is also possible to download the audio and video files but again, one cannot link these to the correct place in the course when offline due to the naming conventions and the poor planning. Students therefore will need to be online to study properly. A broadband connection is recommended.

Q79 is made up as follows:

Block 01: The nature of the law
Block 02: Sources of law
Block 03: The administration of justice
Block 04: Elements of law and liability
Block 05: Legal remedies and sanctions.

These are further broken into a 30 weeks program and cover 18 units (on which I will be writing more later), 5 tutor marked assignments (TMAs) and 1 End of Module Assignment (EMA). There are 4 skill building sessions.

A pass is  40% minimum on all TMAs ("overall continuous assessment score (OCAS) is determined from scores for these assignments weighted as follows: TMA01 - 10%; TMA02 - 15%; TMA03 - 20%; TMA04 - 25%; TMA05 - 30%") and 40% on the EMA.   

I'll blog more on the individual units, and assignments, (no I will not be presenting assignments here) later on. At the moment, I am writing TMA 05 and preparing for EMA, so my course is almost over. Hopefully, anyone accessing this site will learn and benefit from my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are rude, impolite or attacking anyone will not be posted. Spam will be deleted. Choose a screen name, anonymous comments risk censor.