23 Nov 2010

An Introduction

This is my first post. More like an introduction and a test combined.

I am a mature student in my 40’s, just embarking on a law degree at the Open University. Two questions jump out at that statement:

  1. Why law? Law wasn’t my first choice as a career, hence my late start. Growing up, my father and uncle chose my career – medicine. Yes, there was pressure, as ever, coming into this world into an East Indian family which, like all East Indian families, place strong emphasis on education. I started working in a hospital after I finished my A levels; and when I saw the shitty life (no joke) new doctors led, I was turned off from studying medicine. I got into other jobs, mainly engineering, and eventually circumstances led me to the UK where I am now able to study law through distance learning at  the Open University. 
  2. Why Open University? Open University allows me to study while working. The course requires a certain amount of hours at study, and while more is better, at least I am able to work and support myself. I don’t attend formal classes but monthly tutorials. The work is laid out in great detail through the course materials, and is supported by exercises and DVD lessons etc. It is also affordable. OU has a good reputation.

While meandering through the muddle that is law, I hope that enlightenment comes to both myself, and readers of this blog. Feel free to comment, but try to be polite. I will moderate comments and attacking me or other readers will certainly draw censorship. I strongly recommend a screen name for posting comments – anonymous commenters tick me off big time, mainly because Anonymous 1 can’t be differentiated from Anonymous 2 and so on.

This blog may eventually change pattern as I progress. In the meantime, I have the idea to outline my lessons,my reasoning, and perhaps comment on legal situations in the news. Occasionally on legal judgments from the courts.

I may post mind maps, judgments, etc. What I will not be posting are my actual assignments (don’t want future students copying, that’s the lazy way out). I may however mention what the assignments are, and how well I did. I will give the feedback from the tutor , especially important if I do poorly.

I will also point the way to resources I find, like this free course on Learning How To Learn.

I write and spell in British English. If worldwide readers notice discrepancies from their own language, this is the reason. Language is a sore point for me, so I try to be accurate as far as possible. If you find errors, be sure to point them out. Learning never stops, and I certainly won’t mind if my occasional lapses are corrected.

If I am mentioning people on this blog whom I know/encounter, I will use either fictitious names or nicknames to maintain privacy.

I hope you enjoy, and learn, from my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that are rude, impolite or attacking anyone will not be posted. Spam will be deleted. Choose a screen name, anonymous comments risk censor.